Special Event Permit Application

Use of Public Property

The Special Event Permit Application is required for those who wish to use public property for an event. Public property includes, but is not limited to, parks, fields, trails, streets, sidewalks, municipal parking lots, etc. If you have any questions as to whether the property you would like to use is public and requires an application, please call the Mayor's Office at (508) 460-3770. The application is available on this page and can be filled out and submitted electronically. Applications can be sent to Candace McGrath at cmcgrath@marlborough-ma.gov. See below for application instructions. 

Application Instructions:

1) Complete City of Marlborough’s Special Event Application and Permit Form and return it to the Mayor’s office along with a certificate of liability insurance, the notarized page, and any relevant attachments (maps, routes, past event photos, plans, displays, misc. requests, etc.) for processing. Applications should be submitted at least 30 days in advance and may be submitted in person to: 140 Main Street, Marlborough MA 01752 or electronically to Candace McGrath at @marlborough-ma.gov 

2) Provide Certificate of Insurance and Liability Policy/Waiver of Liability Form (if applicable):

A.) Provide Certificate of Insurance for liability policy, including the City of Marlborough as a named additional insured. The Certificate Holder should read as follows: City of Marlborough Attn: Legal Department 140 Main Street, 4th Floor, Marlborough, MA 01752

B.) Provide copy of Waiver of Liability Form to be used by the event sponsor, if applicable.

3) Applicant is responsible for having the second page of the application notarized by a Notary Public. Applicants can make an appointment with the Mayor’s office to have the page notarized by a City official free of charge. 

4) Applicant is responsible for working with City Departments to obtain any required permits, as applicable. If separate permits are required, they must accompany the application in order for it to be approved (e.g. tent permit, temporary food permit, sign permit, etc.).

  • Requirements/Conditions of City Departments shall be attached to Special Event Application and Permit Form and be part thereof.
  • Permits are granted on a first come, first serve basis.
  • The City reserves the right to deny any request due to prior disregard of facilities, property, equipment, personnel and/or rules or regulations or any other purpose.
  • No alcohol is permitted without the appropriate licensing from the License Board.
  • No amplifying equipment is permitted at Union Common on Saturdays or Sundays if music is being played
For questions on the permit application or process, please call the Mayor's Office at (508) 460-3770.