About the Adult Book Club
The Adult Book Club is for anyone 18 and older who loves to read and wants to discuss great books with other members of the community. We typically meet the third Monday of the month from 6:30pm-8:00pm or the third Thursday of the month from 10:30am-12:00pm. Both meetings discuss the same book, so feel free to join either meeting at any time throughout the year!
It is the mission of the Marlborough Public Library Adult Book Club to provide an open and friendly environment within which all members of the community are welcome to discuss books they have read; also to expand members’ personal literary experiences by introducing them to books that they might otherwise not have selected. Monthly books, either fiction or nonfiction, are chosen by the book club members on a yearly basis in the fall and are provided in various formats (e.g. large print and audio) to ensure that all members of the community who wish to participate are able to do so.
Guidelines for Behavior
In order to promote an open and friendly environment, we ask that members please:
- Speak up when you have something you want to contribute to the conversation. Do not feel pressured to speak if you are content to listen to others.
- Listen thoughtfully to others when they are speaking so that you can respond or carry on the conversation from where the last person left off.
- Respect others’ opinions, especially when they differ from your own.
- Be brief when talking to help insure that everyone has the opportunity to speak.
- Do not talk over one another or have side conversations that disrupt the main discussion.
- Keep personal political and religious viewpoints out of the discussion unless they relate to the book being discussed.
- Do not feel pressure to finish the book. Your interest in the topic alone is enough to contribute to the conversation and you can still learn and have fun listening to others discuss the book.
Please contact Morgan Manzella with any and all questions about the book club at (508) 624-6900 or by email.
What We're Reading
2020 Book List & Dates
- January 13 &16: The little book of hygge : Danish secrets to happy living by Meik Wiking
- February 10 & 13: The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
- March 16 & 19: The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood
- April 13 & 16: Between the world and me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
- May 18 & 21: City of Girls by Elizabeth Gilbert
- June 15 & 18: A Map of Betrayal by Ha Jin
- July 20 & 23: The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women by Kate Moore
- August 17 & 20: Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
- September 21 & 24: Warlight by Michael Ondaatje
- Octobe 19 & 22r: The Immortalists: a novel by Chloe Benjamin
- November 16 & 19: Educated by Tara Westover
- December 14 & 17: No book – Social Hour! Happy Holidays!
Click here to see what the group has read previously.