Swimming pools constructed within the City of Marlborough must comply with Section 176 of the Marlborough City Code and Section 421.0 of the Massachusetts State Building Code. Licenses are NOT required to install pools. Specific information, which is available in code documents, is summarized below:
1. A swimming pool installation application and the resulting permit must be obtained from the Building Department. The application should be completed and submitted to the Building Department for approval.
2. A scale drawn plan shall accompany each application showing: size and location of the existing plot of land, location of all structures on the lot, easements, wetlands, power lines, fences, driveways and the proposed dimension and location of the pool.
3. Applicant shall bear full responsibility for location and verification of property boundaries.
4. For the purposes of setbacks, a pool is considered an "accessory structure” and the following setbacks are in effect:
a. from the house - a minimum of 10 feet
b. From the street line - a minimum of 10 feet or the front setback requirement for your zoning district, whichever is greater.
c. from the rear or side line - a minimum of 6 feet
Measurements are taken from the water line of the pool. Please note that if you are on a “corner” lot you should contact this office for specific instructions.
5. The applicant shall review and acknowledge by signature the "Private Pool Requirements” document included in this application package.
6. If applicable, a plumbing, gas and/or electrical permit must also be obtained from the Building Department.
7. Approval of the Conservation commission is required if any work, including grading, is proposed within 100 feet of a wetland or within a floodplain. Consult the Conservation Officer (508 460-3781) if you are unsure of any wetland locations on your property.
1. At excavation 2. During fill to certify fencing 3. Final
Telephone # for Inspections: (508) 460-3776