Skip Navigation
 
Welcome to Marlborough, Massachusetts
This table is used for column layout.







 
Historical Commission
Contact TypeContact Information
Contact:
Gary Brown
Chairman
 
Link to Page
MEMBERS
NAME
POSITION
PHONE
Gary Brown
Chairman
508-460-3782
Lynn Faust
Vice-chairman
 
Jack Gracey
Member
 
John Noble
Member
 
Maura Webster
Member
508-251-1103
Member
 
The Marlborough Historical Commission was established by the City Council on April 12, 1971 in accordance with Chapter 40, Section 8D of The General Laws of Massachusetts.

Meetings: Meetings are held on the third Thursday of each month at 7:30 PM in the City Council Committee Room on the main floor of City Hall.

Efforts: The Commission works with property owners and developers, and provides recommendations to the City Council.  These are some of the commercial buildings of historic interest that are being developed in Marlborough:

The Armory (1905) – 358 Lincoln Street - Privately owned; to be converted into condominium units.
The Old Central Fire Station - 91 Main Street - The city is reviewing a bid to purchase this property.
The Paper Box Factory - 175 Maple Street - Privately owned; being converted into apartments.
St. Mary's Church, Rectory, Hall, and School - 26 Broad Street - Privately owned; being converted into condominiums.
Formerly Marlborough Wire Goods and later Space Age Electronics - 406 Lincoln Street - Privately owned; being converted into artist lofts. More information on Renaissance Lofts is here.

Other local resources:


Marlborough Survey of Historical, Architectural, and Cultural Resources (1994, rev. 1995) - Conducted in conjunction with the Commission and funded by a grant from the Massachusetts Historical Commission and by the City of Marlborough.  This is an excellent resource for new or prospective owners or developers of historic residential or commercial properties in Marlborough.

We have begun to put this information online here.

The full five-volume set is available from the reference desk of the Marlborough Public Library.

Sanborn Maps - Originally used for fire insurance, the Historical Commission has several old Sanborn maps that can be used to document the presence of buildings in Marlborough when each of the maps was drawn up. These can be reviewed by contacting the Chairman of the Historical Commission.

The Marlborough Historical Society, 377 Elm St, Marlborough - (508) 485-4763